The EV3, third LEGO Mindstorms Kit generation, is, as Xander Soldaat says “
more than a simple upgrade of the previous brick. The new EV3 brick sports a massive upgrade in memory, CPU power and expandability. Here are some of the hardware specs to whet your appetite:
- An ARM9 processor
- 16MB Flash storage which you can expand with a micro SD card
- 64MB RAM
- A Linux OS (very hackable!), which will be released under an Open Source license
- A USB host interface, allowing you to hook up a WiFi dongle. You can also daisy-chain up to four bricks through USB and program them as one.
- 4 sensor and 4 motor ports
- A much bigger screen and much improved loud speaker
- Additional interface buttons, with backlight, for status indication purposes
- Bluetooth 2.1
- iOS and Android compatible
- Backwards compatible with the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT, so NXT sensors should work just fine with the new system”
The Bricxcc will be ported with the EV3, and the WIFI dongle will allow wireless network connection, so the NXTSpaceApps project will be compatible with the new Mindstorms Kit!